About The Dolphin Experience at Sanctuary Bay
Explore the Dolphin Experience at Sanctuary Bay on Grand Bahama Island. Sanctuary Bay is a natural 9 acre lagoon, home to twelve Atlantic Bottle Nose Dolphins. Established in 1999, the Dolphin Experience has been long recognized in the marine mammal field with a focus on education through interaction. The Dolphin Experience was the first marine mammal facility in the Bahamas to become a member of the prestigious AMMPA (Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks & Aquariums) where they lead the industry in open ocean training. Sanctuary Bay is also home to exotic birds and tortoises which you will find throughout this natural facility. Choose from any one of our educational, interactive and FUN programs:
Dolphin Close Encounter
On this educational and interactive encounter you will:
- Upon arrival you will be greeted by our friendly guest service staff and dolphin trainers who will direct you to the briefing area for your program.
- During your briefing your dolphin trainer(s) will explain to you about the program and what to expect.
- Guests will be taken down to your program area which consists of floating docks surrounding a submerged platform ( 3’ deep) where you will be seated to start your program, feel free to dangle your feet in the water if you’d like !
- Your dolphin trainer will educate and entertain you with facts about these amazing creatures and tell you more about the facility where they live and how they are cared for, as the dolphins swim around your feet and show off what they can do. You will also be given an opportunity to ask questions.
- During this program guests will enter the water in pairs to get up close and personal with a dolphin. As you stand on the platform with the trainer you will have the opportunity to touch, hug and maybe even receive a kiss from a dolphin! Approximate in water time with the dolphins is 7 – 10 minutes. Our photo staff will be on hand to capture these moments for you.
- After your program and an exhilarating goodbye from the dolphins, explore more of the facility with a visit to our bird patio, home to macaws, cockatoos and African tortoises of all sizes. Our animal care staff will be on hand to safely handle the birds while your friends and family take some “insta-worthy” photos ! Or visit the snack stand for a soft drink or treat.
Know before you book
- All ages are welcome, however a parent or guardian must participate in the program with children under 16 years old.
- Guests are not permitted to wear tanning oils
- Jewelery should be removed for the safety of the dolphins.
- Due to the natural environment of the facility, electronic scooters or wheelchairs are not recommended. Guests must be able to descend/ascend a ramp to the program area which varies in incline due to tides. Guests must also be able to descend/ascend a swimming pool type ladder to enter the water on to the submerged platform.
- Cameras/cell phones are not permitted in the dolphin program areas, photos taken by our professional photographers are available for purchase after the program or online. Cameras/cell phones are permitted in other parts of the facility.
What to bring:
- Swimsuit and towel, sunscreen
- Biodegradable sunscreen (no tanning oils)
- Money/credit cards for photos, souvenirs or snacks